Source: An inside look at ADHD.
Me 100% of the time. Luckily Ito help for my ADD when I was a child
- ADD and ADHD are the same disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder was officially renamed Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in 1994. Many people use ADD to refer to Type One presented here, and ADHD to refer to Type Two, but they are the same core disorder.
- In many cases where ADHD carries into adulthood, it’s a genetic issue [My grandfather, mother, siblings, and I have all been diagnosed with ADHD], though this does not always occur.
hello yes this is me
more fun facts!
- there are a lot of talks about how ADHD is overdiagnosed, and that may be true for boys, but for girls ADHD is severely underdiagnosed.
- older studies mostly looked at hyperactive boys and that’s the perception we have of ADHD. because of this many girls will go undiagnosed until adulthood.
- most girls/women who have ADHD are inattentive type. they tend to be introverted, disorganized and daydreamers.
- girls will internalize these as personal failings and teenage girls have a much higher rate of suicide and self harm because of it
- ADHD is often comorbid with anxiety and depression, both of which are caused by the failings from having ADHD
- depression can present itself differently in people with ADHD. it’s more of a discouragement from constantly failing, but it can be just as debilitating.
- read this article from the atlantic: It’s Different for Girls with ADHD
yes yes i like this very much!!! i have severe combination adhd and this is a really great thing!!!
hello yes I have ADHD inattentive type as well as depression and anxiety problems!
more on that:
- depression and ADHD tend to contribute to each other, but the medications have opposing effects - antidepressants and antianxieties tend to make you drowsy and fuzzbrained (worsening your ADHD symptoms) but ADHD medications like Ritalin and Adderall are stimulants and can worsen anxiety and cause sleep problems. It’s a big issue for me!
- since my depression stems from my poor performance in school and my problems connecting to other people, it’s hard to deal with it without dealing with the root cause.
- conversely, sometimes my depression makes it even harder to concentrate - what little motivation I have to do things gets sapped when I’m feeling depressed!
Also, another fact: ADHD is considered an autism spectrum disorder! Meaning that many people with ADHD have difficulty with interpersonal relationships and may be slow to develop as children or develop in abnormal patterns. And like other ASD’s, it is possible to be highly intellectually gifted while simultaneously having ADHD. Not everyone with ADHD is highly gifted, but a lot of highly gifted people have ADHD.
- Intellectually gifted children with ADHD are more likely to go undiagnosed longer because they’re able to partially compensate for their attention problems by being really smart, and so their grades may not suffer until well into middle or even high school.
- Since our educational system, especially in America, is so grade-oriented, teachers may not notice if a student is struggling in other areas as long as their grades are good.
- ADHD can affect a lot more than grades, though, and affects gifted sufferers as much as their non-gifted counterparts. Issues making or maintaining friendships, poor conversational skills, and a decreased ability to pick up on non-verbal social cues are all hallmarks of ADHD and other ASD disorders.
- ADHD kids may talk either a lot less or a lot more - depending on whether they’re inattentive or hyperactive - than their peers think they “should.” They tend to get labelled as either “the quiet one” or “the annoying one,” respectively, and are often victimized and bullied for their poor social skills. I have a combination of both symptoms - when I’m disinterested or distracted, I’ll barely talk at all, but when I’m excited about something, I can’t make myself shut up (notice the length of this reply…?).
I could go on for literally twice this length but this post is getting really long. I want to study this stuff in college though, it’s fascinating, especially because no one knows exactly what causes ADHD or why stimulants help us with our attention problems!
Menelik by Luke Austin
Be still, my beating heart…
For real - I wish I saw nude male photography like this more often. Just simple, great light, non-sexual.
Shironeko the flower Buddha.
my skills include waking up with anime protagonist bedhead
i’m sad ‘cause when i went swimming today the 5 foot part went all the way up to my eyes and i had to stand on my toes to breath
i’m being discriminated against dangnabbit
hahah you’re short
hahah i’m gonna stab you in the neck
If you can even reach my neck
here i come motherfucker